Lip Tattooing is a non-invasive, semi-permanent makeup procedure that enhances the lips without creating puffiness or increasing volume. It is designed to define the lips’ natural shape by outlining the border and enhancing the color with different shades depending on your natural skin tone.
Important rules during healing and aftercare:
- Avoid toothpaste on lips during healing
- Blot with napkin, don't rub during healing
- Drink through straws for the first 3–5 days after your procedure
- To avoid infection, do NOT kiss until scabs have completely come off
- No oral sexual activity during healing
- No conventional lipstick during healing
- Apply the post-procedure gloss we give to you several times throughout the day during healing, as this helps retain color
- Use older, darker pillow cases as there will likely be stains
- Continue on Valtrex if necessary for cold sores
- Do not peel chapping
- After healing, use sunscreen and avoid the sun, as exposure will result in color loss
- No soaps or alpha hydroxides on treated area until fully healed
- It takes at least 21 days to determine how successful the procedure was
- The color you leave with on the day of the appointment will not be your final color
- Final color will be soft and natural
- Keep your follow-up appointment for the best results
Serious medical issues are uncommon. However, if an infection or adverse reaction at the procedure area, contact your personal physician for treatment and report to SNHD Special Programs at (702) 759-0677.
Extra tips for healthy and smooth recovery:
- Use a fresh pillowcase daily.
- IMPORTANT: Avoid sleeping on your face or side for the first 10 days. It’s best to sleep on your back or elevate your pillow as to not sleep on any area of the lips.
- Let any scabbing or drying skin exfoliate away naturally. NEVER rub, pick, or scratch the treated area. Picking the skin can cause poor healing and loss of color.
- IMPORTANT: Avoid long, hot, and steamy showers for the first 10 days.
- No facials, botox, chemical treatments, microdermabrasion, or microneedling for 4 weeks.
- Avoid hot sweaty exercise — especially hot yoga or saunas — for 10 days.
- Avoid any topical makeup, sunscreen, or moisturizers on the treated area for the first 10 days. You can wear makeup like foundation, just not anywhere near the lips.
- Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning/tanning beds for 4 weeks. Wear a hat when outdoors. Once lips are fully healed (after 2 weeks), you can apply gentle face sunscreen to the lips.
- Avoid submerging your face in water for the first 10 days.
- Avoid petroleum jelly or Vaseline during the healing period. These are too heavy and the skin won’t be able to breathe.